Having had enough fun "Running For The Bathroom" the past 5 years,
SMHS PRESENTS THE INAUGURAL
SPOOK HILL CIDER & WINE 4 MILE RUN
Saturday, October 19th, 2013
This rolling four-mile run, which replaces the vaunted Run for the Bathroom 8K, is a loop course primarily within the confines of the historic town of Burkittsville, MD. You will run up legendary Spook Hill just before turning off the asphalt for a loop through the Boordy Winery Vineyard on the west end of town. Historic Union Cemetery and Guyton's former dairy farm in the center of town are the next points of interest through which participants will navigate. You're almost done when you complete the loop through the Distillery Lane Ciderworks orchard on the east end of town. This is a fall race not to be missed as the scenery is guaranteed to be second to none!
Distillery Lane Ciderworks http://distillerylaneciderworks.com/
- Start/finish and parking will be located at the Burkittsville Ruritan, 500 East Main St, Burkittsville, MD. Link to start/finish area: http://goo.gl/maps/n5NP2
- Race will start at 8:30 A.M., Saturday, October 19th, 2013.
- Race Day registration/bib pickup will be held from 7:00 to 8:15 A.M. race morning. Online entry fee prior to 10/17 is $25 via RaceIt.com. Race Day registration $30. No Refunds.
- We will, as always, provide unique awards to the first two male and female finishers.
- Age group awards will go 3 deep in the following age groups, M & F: 13 & under, 14 to 19, 20 to 29, 30 to 39, 40 to 49, 50 to 59, 60 to 69, 70 to 79 and 80 and above.
- The unique to SMHS Races, "Mean Runner" award goes to the participant who finishes smack-dab in the middle of the pack (i.e. finisher 75 of 150).
- We will have blind drawings for door prizes open to all participants.
- We all have way too many race tee shirts so we will be giving away race logo'd wine glasses to the first 150 preregistered runners.
- Basic course map can be found here: http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=528232
- Links to race sponsors and partners:
The Distillery Lane Ciderworks orchard and tasting room will be open after the race. Stop by afterward and pick up a bottle or two of hard or sweet cider and some farm fresh apples!
The SMHS Annual Used Book Sale will also be going on the day of the race. We encourage you to visit the SMHS Museum, located at 3 East Main St., Burkittsville and browse through the thousands of titles of every literary genre which will be lurking there. More information about SMHS, its activities and mission available here: http://southmountainheritagesociety.org/
Direct any questions regarding this event to: email@example.com with Spook Hill in the subject line.
The vineyard and orchard loops are primarily a grass surface that is not maintained as a footpath so expect typical cross-country conditions on that part of the course. The Cemetery and farm lane portions are loose gravel/asphalt. The owners and operators of the vineyard, orchard, cemetery and farm have graciously opened their properties to us for this event and for this event only. PLEASE DO NOT PRE-RUN THE PRIVATE PORTIONS OF THE COURSE!